New York City ‘intentional’ explosion, injures 29 people.

NEW York .​At least 29 people have been injured in an explosion in a crowded district of New York City.

The cause of the blast late on Saturday in Chelsea remains unclear. Mayor Bill de Blasio described it as “intentional” but said that there were no known links to terror.

The force of the blast blew out windows and could be heard several blocks away.

Another device, reportedly a pressure cooker rigged with wires, was later found in the same district.

Live updates

None of the injuries is life-threatening but one is serious, New York’s fire commissioner said.

Most of those hurt suffered cuts and other minor injuries from glass and other debris.

The explosion occurred around 21:00 (01:00 GMT on Sunday). Witnesses said people ran in all directions following the “incredibly loud” blast.

Unconfirmed reports said the blast went off in a dustbin. Several blocks have been closed down by police.

“The initial indications is this was an intentional act,” Mr de Blasio said.

But he added: “We also want to be upfront saying that there is no evidence at this point of a terror connection to this incident.”

Law enforcement officials said that the device found at the second Chelsea location appeared to be a pressure cooker attached to wiring and a mobile phone. Police said it had been removed safely.

Chelsea is among the most fashionable districts of Manhattan and its bars and restaurants are usually crowded at the weekend.

Rudy Alcide, a bouncer at a nightclub in the area, said the blast was “extremely loud, almost like thunder, but louder”.

RJ Demello, who was nearby at the time, said “we were in disbelief while it was happening, saying like how, why would anybody do this on purpose, especially in this part of town”.

President Barack Obama is being kept up to date on the investigation, a White House official said.

Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton told reporters she had been in touch with New York officials.

“Obviously we need to do everything we can to support our first responders and pray for the victims,” she said.

“I’ll have more to say about it when we actually know the facts,” she added.

Speaking at a rally in Colorado before police had commented on the cause of the blast, Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump told supporters that a “bomb” had gone off.

He said: “Nobody knows exactly what’s going on, but boy, we are living in a time – we better get very tough, folks.”

The blast comes after a pipe bomb explosion in neighbouring New Jersey hours earlier along the route of a planned charity race.

No injuries were reported, and Mr de Blasio said there was no evidence of a link.

Advertisements

More schools torched by students.

Three dormitories were torched by in fires in three schools on Monday night.

Kenya Red cross posted on the official Twitter handle that two schools in Narok county, Aitonhg boarding school and Narok high school were torched but no injuries were reported.

Two dorms were burnt in the third school, Watuka high school in Nyeri county but no injuries were also reported in the incident.

This comes hours after a student escaped death narrowly in a fire at K’Odero Obara Boys’ Secondary School in Rongo, Migori county on Monday.

In Trans Nzoia county, a dormitory was razed at Kapsara Secondary School on Sunday night.
In Nairobi, 15 students sustained injuries as they attempted to salvage their belongings in a dormitory fire at Lang’ata Boys’ High school on Sunday.

The school’s principal said this was the second arson attack on the 200-capacity facility.

The management of Sunshine Secondary School has one week to settle a case concerning an attempted arson attack.

Eight students were arrested after the incident last Friday night and taken to court on Monday.

Milimani chief magistrate Lucy Gitari released them on Sh50,000 bond each.

Twenty eight students of Rongai Boys’ High School were released on Sh10,000 cash bail each for attempting to burn one of their dormitories.

Their cases will be heard on December 14.

The increased arson cases in schools have pushed Knut to call for the immediate closure of all schools to address the increasing cases of fires.

Knut officials have placed the value of property damages in at least 120 schools so far at Sh0.5 billion.

Secretary general Wilson Sossion said in a statement that they believe the unrest resulted from changes to the school calendar, which he said were made without consultation.

Munich: Killer acted alone.


A shooting at a Munich shopping centre which left nine people dead was carried out by one gunman who then killed himself, German police have said.The suspect was an 18-year-old German-Iranian dual national who lived in Munich, police told a news conference, but his motive is unclear.More than 20 people were injured, three critically, police added.A huge manhunt was launched following reports that up to three gunmen had been involved in the attack.The body of the suspect was found about 1km (0.6 miles) from the Olympia shopping centre in the north-western suburb of Moosach.Munich police chief Hubertus Andrae told the news conference early on Saturday that the suspect had not been known to police and there were no known links to terror groups, although investigations were continuing.The reports of three suspected attackers came when witnesses saw two people leaving the scene in a car “at considerable speed”, but they were later confirmed not to be involved, he added.”The motive or explanation for this crime is completely unclear,” he said.Mr Andrae also said that children were among the casualties, but gave no further details.Following the attack, the Bavarian capital’s transport system was suspended and the central railway station evacuated. Public transport was reopened several hours later when police gave a cautious “all clear”.Thousands of people stranded by the emergency and unable to get home were offered shelter by local residents.First reports of the shooting came in just before 18:00 (16:00 GMT) on Friday. Witnesses said the attacker opened fire on members of the public in Hanauer Street before moving to the nearby Olympia shopping centre.Police described it as “an acute terror situation” although officials stressed that the motive was as yet unknown.Chancellor Angela Merkel’s chief of staff, Peter Altmaier, told national TV: “We cannot rule out that it is linked to terrorism but we can’t confirm it either, but we are also investigating in this direction.”        A meeting of the government’s security cabinet will be held on Saturday.Police urged the public to avoid speculation on social media and to desist from using photos or video of their deployments online.German security forces have been on alert since a teenage migrant stabbed and injured five people on a train in Bavaria on Monday, in an attack claimed by so-called Islamic State.The authorities had warned of the danger of further incidents.

Scores die in Munich Shooting.


Gunmen went on a shooting rampage in a shopping mall in the southern German city of Munich on Friday, killing many people, police said.

Authorities were evacuating people from the Olympia mall but many others were hiding inside.

A Munich police spokeswoman said mulitple people were killed or wounded.

“We believe we are dealing with a shooting rampage,” the spokeswoman said.

More than one gunman was believed to be involved and no one had been arrested, she said.

NTV television reported that German police special forces had arrived at the scene.

It was not immediately clear who carried out the attack, which took place a week after an axe-weilding teenager went on a rampage on a German train. Islamic State claimed responsibility for that attack.

Staff in the mall were still in hiding, an employee told Reuters by telephone.

“Many shots were fired, I can’t say how many but it’s been a lot,” the employee, who declined to be identified, said from the mall in Munich.

“All the people from outside came streaming into the store and I only saw one person on the ground who was so severely injured that he definitely didn’t survive,”

“We have no further information, we’re just staying in the back in the storage rooms. No police have approached us yet.”

Munich transport authorities said they had halted several bus, train and tram lines.

The shopping center is next to the Munich Olympic stadium, where the Palestinian militant group Black September took 11 Israeli athletes hostage and eventually killed them during the 1972 Olympic Games.

Friday’s attack took place a week after a 17-year-old asylum-seeker wounded passengers on a German train in an axe rampage. Bavarian police shot dead the teenager after he wounded four people from Hong Kong on the train and injured a local resident while fleeing.

German Justice Minister Heiko Maas told Bild newspaper’s Friday edition before the mall attack that there was “no reason to panic but it’s clear that Germany remains a possible target”.

The incidents in Germany follow an attack in Nice, France, on Bastille Day in which a Tunisian drove a truck into crowds, killing 84. Islamic State also claimed responsibility for that attack.

There was, however, no immediate word that the attack was politically motivated.

Friday is also the five-year anniversary of the massacre by Anders Behring Breivik in Norway. Breivik is a hero for far-right extremists in Europe and America.

Duale’s Bodyguard shot!

National Assembly Majority Leader Aden Duale addresses media in past event.


Gunmen shot and seriously injured one of National Assembly Majority Leader Aden Duale’s bodyguard in Eastleigh before robbing him of his firearm.

The officer identified as Constable Abdi Maalim was shot on the leg along General Waruinge Road at around 6pm. They then grabbed his pistol and escaped towards Kiwanja slums near Moi Air Base.

By Monday evening, the officer was still admitted at the Nairobi Hospital in a stable condition.

Nairobi County commander Japheth Koome said that a team of officers was pursuing the gunmen.


Leaflets threatening Kikuyu community circulated in Ngong.

Copy of the leaftlets circulating in Ngong town.
Police in Ngong spent the better part of Sunday collecting threatening leaflets circulating in the town.
The leaflets warn members of the Kikuyu community against taking control of Ngong North subcounty.

One of them reads in part: “We as the Maasai people, we are aggrieved to know that what we are fighting for have never come to our favour [sic]. We would like to urge the Kikuyus who have taken control of Ngong town for decades in our absence to be prepared for bloodshed.”

The poorly-written leaflets, drafted in English, are purported to have been authored by a Maasai individual from the area.

Area deputy county commissioner Francis Komen said on Monday that officers have forwarded samples of the leaflets to experts and are pursuing the authors of the threatening leaflets.

He said detectives both from Ngong and Nairobi will be investigating the issue.

“This is a serious matter and we are leaving no stone unturned in the search of the authors,” he said.

Komen said the leaflets are meant to scare members of the community mentioned in them ahead of the 2017 general election.

The circulation occurred only hours after Interior CS Joseph Nkaissery accused a candidate vying for Kajiado’s governor’s seat of using tribalism to divide area residents.

Though he did not name the person, Nkaissery said he was unhappy with the individual’s actions.

The CS was speaking at the homecoming of KMC chairman Tayaia ole Kores in Iloodokilani ward of Kajiado county.

Kores also claimed he was aware of a leader from the region who intends to chase away members of the Kikuyu and Kisii communities from the area head of the polls.

Policeman, not al Shabaab, behind Kapenguria shootings killed.

Police constable Abdihakim Maslah who was shot dead after killing OCS Vitalis Ochido and three other officers in an attack at Kapenguria police station, July 14, 2016. /COURTESY


A policeman, not a terror suspect, killed an OCS and three officers at Kapenguria police station on Thursday, the Star can now reveal.

Police constable Abdihakim Maslah was attached to the station but had been serving at an outpost.

Maslah was a radical who stormed the station to rescue a suspected al Shabaab terrorist who is a teacher by profession.

The officer who hailed from Garissa county graduated from the Kiganjo police training college in 2013.

Multiple sources said Maslah, who attacked his colleagues and held others hostage for hours, was angry that his boss re-assigned him duties.

The sources said he had troubles with his commanders and wanted a transfer that was declined.

It is alleged he returned to the station in West Pokot county at about 4am and started shooting at his colleagues.

Maslah is said to have shot at officers who tried to access the station from a strategic place of hiding. He was shot dead after the arrival of the General Service Unit Recce squad.

Police had claimed the shooter was a terror suspect who had been arrested on Tuesday.

IG Joseph Boinnet said the gunman was a suspect arrested over links to al Shabaab, who turned violent, grabbed an officer’s weapon and shot the four dead.

Reports had indicated the man was arrested at Nakwijit area in North Pokot subcounty.

But sources said terror suspect and teacher Omar Eumond (pictured below), who was to be taken to court today, was alive and in the cells.

South Rift regional commissioner Wanyama Musiambo had no comment on whether Masla was a policeman.

He told a press conference in Kapenguria that he could not comment as investigations were ongoing.

Musiambo said the man stormed the station while armed, and killed and injuredseveral people but did not give a number.

Suspects in cells were evacuated and none of them was injured, he said.

Al Jazeera news reported the man was shot dead by the Recce squad officers during a gunfight.

Attempts to reach Boinnet and police spokesman Charles Owino to confirm the details were futile.

West Pokot county commissioner Wilson Wanyanga confirmed OCS Vitalis Ochido was killed.

He did not give details of the attack saying they were awaiting other reports.