New York City ‘intentional’ explosion, injures 29 people.

NEW York .​At least 29 people have been injured in an explosion in a crowded district of New York City.

The cause of the blast late on Saturday in Chelsea remains unclear. Mayor Bill de Blasio described it as “intentional” but said that there were no known links to terror.

The force of the blast blew out windows and could be heard several blocks away.

Another device, reportedly a pressure cooker rigged with wires, was later found in the same district.

Live updates

None of the injuries is life-threatening but one is serious, New York’s fire commissioner said.

Most of those hurt suffered cuts and other minor injuries from glass and other debris.

The explosion occurred around 21:00 (01:00 GMT on Sunday). Witnesses said people ran in all directions following the “incredibly loud” blast.

Unconfirmed reports said the blast went off in a dustbin. Several blocks have been closed down by police.

“The initial indications is this was an intentional act,” Mr de Blasio said.

But he added: “We also want to be upfront saying that there is no evidence at this point of a terror connection to this incident.”

Law enforcement officials said that the device found at the second Chelsea location appeared to be a pressure cooker attached to wiring and a mobile phone. Police said it had been removed safely.

Chelsea is among the most fashionable districts of Manhattan and its bars and restaurants are usually crowded at the weekend.

Rudy Alcide, a bouncer at a nightclub in the area, said the blast was “extremely loud, almost like thunder, but louder”.

RJ Demello, who was nearby at the time, said “we were in disbelief while it was happening, saying like how, why would anybody do this on purpose, especially in this part of town”.

President Barack Obama is being kept up to date on the investigation, a White House official said.

Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton told reporters she had been in touch with New York officials.

“Obviously we need to do everything we can to support our first responders and pray for the victims,” she said.

“I’ll have more to say about it when we actually know the facts,” she added.

Speaking at a rally in Colorado before police had commented on the cause of the blast, Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump told supporters that a “bomb” had gone off.

He said: “Nobody knows exactly what’s going on, but boy, we are living in a time – we better get very tough, folks.”

The blast comes after a pipe bomb explosion in neighbouring New Jersey hours earlier along the route of a planned charity race.

No injuries were reported, and Mr de Blasio said there was no evidence of a link.

Scores die in Munich Shooting.


Gunmen went on a shooting rampage in a shopping mall in the southern German city of Munich on Friday, killing many people, police said.

Authorities were evacuating people from the Olympia mall but many others were hiding inside.

A Munich police spokeswoman said mulitple people were killed or wounded.

“We believe we are dealing with a shooting rampage,” the spokeswoman said.

More than one gunman was believed to be involved and no one had been arrested, she said.

NTV television reported that German police special forces had arrived at the scene.

It was not immediately clear who carried out the attack, which took place a week after an axe-weilding teenager went on a rampage on a German train. Islamic State claimed responsibility for that attack.

Staff in the mall were still in hiding, an employee told Reuters by telephone.

“Many shots were fired, I can’t say how many but it’s been a lot,” the employee, who declined to be identified, said from the mall in Munich.

“All the people from outside came streaming into the store and I only saw one person on the ground who was so severely injured that he definitely didn’t survive,”

“We have no further information, we’re just staying in the back in the storage rooms. No police have approached us yet.”

Munich transport authorities said they had halted several bus, train and tram lines.

The shopping center is next to the Munich Olympic stadium, where the Palestinian militant group Black September took 11 Israeli athletes hostage and eventually killed them during the 1972 Olympic Games.

Friday’s attack took place a week after a 17-year-old asylum-seeker wounded passengers on a German train in an axe rampage. Bavarian police shot dead the teenager after he wounded four people from Hong Kong on the train and injured a local resident while fleeing.

German Justice Minister Heiko Maas told Bild newspaper’s Friday edition before the mall attack that there was “no reason to panic but it’s clear that Germany remains a possible target”.

The incidents in Germany follow an attack in Nice, France, on Bastille Day in which a Tunisian drove a truck into crowds, killing 84. Islamic State also claimed responsibility for that attack.

There was, however, no immediate word that the attack was politically motivated.

Friday is also the five-year anniversary of the massacre by Anders Behring Breivik in Norway. Breivik is a hero for far-right extremists in Europe and America.

36 killed in Istanbul airport bombings

image

Forensic police at the explosion site at Ataturk airport on June 28, 2016 in Istanbul after two explosions followed by gunfire hit Turkey’s biggest airport, killing at least 36 people and injuring several others.

A triple suicide bombing and gun attack at Istanbul’s Ataturk airport has killed at least 36 people, including foreigners, with Turkey’s prime minister saying early signs pointed to an assault by the Islamic State group.The attackers began spraying bullets at the international terminal entrance before blowing themselves up at around 10:00 pm (1900 GMT) Tuesday, Turkish authorities said.It is the deadliest of four attacks to rock Turkey’s biggest city this year, with two others blamed on IS and another claimed by a militant Kurdish group.Though there was no immediate claim of responsibility for Tuesday’s carnage, “the evidence points to Daesh”, Prime Minister Binali Yildirim told journalists at the scene, using another name for the jihadists.He said the dead included foreigners, but gave no further details. Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag put the number of wounded at 147.The attack prompted the suspension of all flights at the airport β€” one of Europe’s busiest hubs.Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan called for an international “joint fight” against terror, as Western allies including the United States condemned the “heinous” attack.Yildirim said the suicide bombers had arrived in a taxi and opened fire on passengers with automatic rifles before blowing themselves up.Security camera footage widely circulated on social media appeared to capture two of the blasts. In one clip a huge ball of flame erupts at an entrance to the terminal building, scattering terrified passengers.Another video shows a black-clad attacker running inside the building before collapsing to the ground β€” apparently felled by a police bullet β€” and blowing himself up.Tuesday’s attack follows coordinated IS suicide bombings at Brussels airport and a city metro station in March that left 32 people dead.An AFP photographer saw bodies covered with sheets at the terminal, which bore heavy damage from the blasts.Bullet holes peppered the windows and shattered glass lay on the floor, while abandoned luggage was scattered everywhere.Hundreds of police and firefighters including forensic officers were at the scene.

Al Shabaab kill 15 in Mogadishu hotel bomb attack.

image

The scene of a car bomb attack on the Naasa Hablood hotel in Mogadishu.

Somalia’s al Shabaab Islamist group launched a suicide bomb attack on a hotel in the centre of Mogadishu on Saturday before fighters stormed inside, police and the militant group said.Police said at least 15 people had died, including guards at the site, civilians and militants. Others were wounded.Gunfire had echoed round the seaside capital after the blast and ambulances raced to the scene. Police later said fighting had ended but they were searching the site for militants.”We attacked the hotel which was frequented by the apostate government members,” al Shabaab military operations spokesman Sheikh Abdiasis Abu Musab told Reuters. He said at least 20 guards and civilians were killed.Al Shabaab, which frequently carries out attacks in the capital in its bid to topple the Western-backed government, often gives casualty numbers that are higher than figures announced by officials. Police said the initial blast was caused by a suicide bomber before fighters stormed into the Nasahablood hotel, leading to a heavy exchange of gunfire. Officers said some people had managed to escape through the rear of the building.”The operation has now ended but we are still combing the building for any possible militants who are hiding,” Major Ali Mohamed, a police officer, told Reuters.The United States and other Western countries have been among the biggest donors to the government in Mogadishu as it slowly rebuilds after years of conflict and prepares for parliamentary and presidential elections later this year. “We strongly condemn this attack,” a U.S. State Department official said in a statement. “We remain committed to Somalia’s security and stability, and are proud to stand side-by-side with Somalia in the fight against terrorism.” The vote planned for August will be by limited franchise rather than one-person-one-vote, which officials and diplomats say would be too difficult while still fighting an insurgency.Muslims in Somalia and around the world are observing Ramadan. In previous years, al Shabaab has often intensified attacks during the fasting month, frequently picking targets where people gather just before or after breaking the fast.

Somali court sentences 43 Al Shabaab militants to death.

image

Photo: Alshabaab recruits pass out parade.

A court in northern Somalia town of Garowe has sentenced 43 Al Shabaab militants to death.
Prosecutor of the court, Abdullahi Hersi Elmi, said the militants who were arrested during the heavy clashes in Puntland early this year have been in prison for the past three months. “The court carried out the death penalty to 43 Al Shabaab militants in Garowe town today, 54 other Al Shabaab militants remain in prison because they are young. These militants were arrested during the fighting in Nugaal and Mudug regions in March and April,” Elmi said.
Elmi said the Puntland State forces arrested 97 Al Shabaab militants.